Integration of a company’s collective knowledge can understandably be a complex process, especially in respect of companies which consistently develop ideas across various divisions. Superior patent management implements the central information hub to cross-reference and accumulate the information stored across different divisions, such as manufacturing, sales/marketing and engineering, and on different formats, such as electronically, written down or annotated. This, in conjunction with an established patent portfolio, represents an increasingly valuable asset for a company.
Implementation of the patent management system
A patent management system requires considerable planning, specifically in the areas of:
- employee training;
- documentation procedures;
- organisation of intellectual property related matter;
- possible review of employee hiring practices;
- relevant employee forms and agreements; and
- policy development.
The implementation of the patent management system is likely to result in considerable changes throughout the company, perhaps necessitating formal education programs and appropriate action for resisting areas within the company. The process should therefore be coordinated so that all employees are made aware of, and contribute to, patent management company-wide.
Links to Helpful Sites
- Baxter IP Patent Attorneys Sydney — information about licensing.
- Commercialisation Australia — an Australian Government initiative that assists researchers, entrepreneurs and innovative companies to convert ideas into successful commercial ventures.
- Austrade — Austrade is an online Australian government agency that assists Australian businesses contribute to national prosperity by succeeding in trade and investment, internationally, and promoting and supporting productive foreign investment into Australia.
- ausinvent — ausinvent is the NSW Government's online Innovation Advisory Service, offering services and programs designed to assist inventors and innovators develop their bright ideas.
- Ideas2Market — Ideas2Market is an online initiative of the Queensland Government’s Department of Tourism, Regional Development and Industry, establishing a small business program delivered by the AIC to assist entrepreneurs and small business owners to take their ideas to market.
- IP Australia Commercialisation Strategies Factsheet — a page outlining the various commercialisation strategies available.
- business.gov.au — an online government service providing essential information on planning, starting and running your business.
- Australian Institute for Commercialisation — AIC provides innovation and collaboration services that help organisations grow.
- Patent Search Online — service for discovering whether your idea is patentable.
- Patent Attorney Directory — current information on main Australian patent attorney firms.
- Baxter IP — the international website of Baxter IP, Patent Attorneys.
Important Disclaimer: The information on this website is not legal or professional advice. The information may:
- not be correct;
- only relate to the law or practice in a given country; and/or
- be outdated.
For more information, please contact the Site Administrator: Baxter IP.